Volleyball is a sport that has six players on each team. There are three players in the front row and three in the back row. The main responsibility of the back row is to block the ball from hitting the ground and going over the net into their opponents’ court.
Back row positions
The back row positions in volleyball are the positions that are farthest away from the net. There are three back-row positions: right back, left-back, and middle back.
The right-back position is located on the right side of the court, behind the front row players. The left-back position is located on the left side of the court, behind the front row players. The middle back position is located in the center of the court, behind the front row players, and between the right and left-back positions.
To do this, they need to be in a good position to jump up and get their hands up in time to block the ball. They also need to be aware of where their opponents are positioned to block any incoming balls accurately. Back row players may also be called on to set (or toss) the ball up for their teammates in the front row to hit, depending on what formation their team is using.
Back row attack volleyball
There are a few things that go into a back-row attack in volleyball:
- The attacker has to be able to hit the ball. They stand at the back row of the court, usually on the right side if they’re right-handed.
- They need to time their jump to hit the ball as it comes over the net.
- They must make sure they hit the ball with enough force to send it over the opposing team’s blockers and into the other court.
- They need to make sure their body is in alignment with the direction of their shot so they can put as much power behind it as possible.
The responsibilities of the back row in volleyball
The back row in volleyball is the middle of the three rows of players. The back row consists of the libero and setter. Sometimes a defensive specialist is added as well. The back row players are responsible for most of the offense and are responsible for a lot of ball control. The middle hitters are responsible for the most kills and are normally responsible for the higher scoring hits, as opposed to the outside hitters, who are responsible for more digs.
The back row is also responsible for keeping the ball in play and the other team from scoring. The back row must be very communicative when hitting and keeping the ball in play. Through communication, setters will be able to call plays, and the middle hitters will hit accordingly.
The benefits of playing back row in volleyball
Playing back row in volleyball comes with several benefits. Here are a few:
-You have a better view of the action. As a back-row player, you are in a higher position than the other players on the court, which gives you an improved view of what is happening. This can help you make better decisions about where to go and what to do next.
-You are less likely to get hit. Since you are further away from the net, you are less likely to get hit by the ball. This can be especially helpful if you are playing against an aggressive opponent who loves to spike the ball.
-You can play more defensively. As a back-row player, you often have more opportunities.
What are some common mistakes that players make in the back row?
Some common mistakes that volleyball players make in the back row do not know the hitters well enough, not getting in a good position to block, and not jumping high enough.
- Not knowing the hitters well enough- When you don’t know who the hitter is, you can’t anticipate their hits and jump in front of them.
- Not getting in a good position to block- You want to be perpendicular to the net so that you can block the ball straight on.
- Not jumping high enough- If you don’t jump high enough, you won’t be able to get your hand up above the net to block the ball.
- Standing too close to the net – makes it difficult to hit balls that are passed near the net.
- Jumping too early or too late can cause players to miss the ball completely or not be able to get into a good hitting position.
- Hitting the ball with their palms – decreases the power of the hit and makes it more difficult to keep the ball in play.
- Not keeping their hands together when they hit the ball – causes players to lose control of the ball and lead to missed shots.
What can you do to improve your players’ skills in the back row?
A few pieces of advice to improve your game in the back row:
1. Play more sets.
2. Watch live matches, both indoors and outdoors.
3. Listen to tips from more experienced players.
4. Keep training drills in mind during the match. Very important to practice during the match.
5. First, learn to play all back row positions (middle blocker and right and left side).
6. To do that, you need to be in a team and training sessions with a coach.
7. Experiment against different levels of players, male and female.
8. Watch videos of professional and international players.
The back row is typically the deepest position on the court, which is a great thing if you are fast. This can allow you to get to a ball first and get a “quick” kill. Being in a deep position means you are less likely to be blocked by a quicker opponent. If you are a great digger, this is the perfect position for you. Also, the back row players are often the strongest. This is because the back row is typically the most physical position on the team. If you are one of the strongest players, you also want to play in that position.